Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sew What It's Summer - Week 6



For this week's challenge, Maxi Dress, I deviated a bit. I still made a dress but not quite a maxi dress.  I have piles and piles of patterns scattered throughout my house. Every time there is a sale on pattern's at Joann's (which is often) I stock up. They go from costing $10 - $20 down to about $2 a pattern. I would be crazy to pass that up. The result is piles and piles of patterns. So a couple months ago my niece found this princess pattern on my coffee table and immediately wanted it.  She's turning 5 this Friday and in her sweetest little voice asked "Auntie Manda will you make this for me?" Of course I said yes, that I would make it for her birthday. She picked out the dress style and the color fabric and I picked out the trims. A week ago when the dress was still sleeve and peplum-less she tried on the dress for a fitting and twirled around my kitchen like a little princess.

I used a medium weight hot pink/raspberry color linen and even managed to find thread and a zipper that matched the fabric exactly.  I then used a white & pink daisy trim on the collar and a pre-gathered pink satin trim at the wait.  The peplum was suppose to be removable but I know my niece - if the peplum was not attached this would be the only time it would not be lost somewhere hidden in a pile.  I stitched the peplum and waistband to the dress front, just past the back sides, leaving the ties free in the back.  I will say that although the pattern was very easy to follow their construction steps were a little odd. They had items completely finished, hemmed and trimmed on the top before the skirt was even attached.  It seemed a little odd to me.

Over all I think the dress came out great and my niece is going to love it. I'll post pictures next week of the princess in her dress :)

1 comments:

Margie said...

I can't wait to see Little Brookie in her dress. It's sooooo cute.
I have that pattern for Liv too.

Post a Comment