Monday, June 24, 2013

Sew What It's Summer - Week 5

This week summer definitely arrived in Maine. It's has been sunny and warm for days  - today it's 90 but with humidity it's peaking around 98. I nearly melted in the 20 minutes I modeled this week's project with jeans.  Anyway back to sewing, this week's project was ombre and I had the perfect fabric - a sheer dark to light blue I picked up on sale a few years ago. I love the fabric, I just wish the top had turned out a little better. I can't decide if I cut the pattern a size too big or if the fabric was just not drapey enough. Either way, I like the design but I'm going to need to go back and rework it a big. The back of the shirt looks and feels huge and billowy, the front is a little short and the sleeves cause a weird fold when my arms are down. It also just feels wide and from pictures it makes me look like I've instantly gained 20lbs.  All that said I still like the shirt.

I will advise anyone following this pattern (Simplicity 1660) to pay attention closely to what you are cutting. There are several size lines on each piece according to what design you are following. I messed up a couple times, fortunately it was just over cutting so I was able to trim down.



Maybe you'll see this shirt again later on as a reworked item. Hopefully I have a chance to attack this shirt again and iron out the problems bc I really do love the fabric.

0 comments:

Post a Comment